7 Email Marketing Tips I Just Gave a Client
Yesterday I emailed a client of ours, Hypoxi Australia with some tips for increasing their email marketing open rates and readership!
Now it’s worth mentioning that the Hypoxi girls send one of the best email newsletters I have seen. My bias isn’t towards its design specifically (which I’ll admit Bluewire actually does), but what I love is the red hot content that the Hypoxi girls write themselves!
And for the record, the girls get well-above average open rates & 3-4 times the average click through rates. So they are setting the standard, but still want to improve!
So, with their permission, I want to share with you the 7 tips I gave them.
Tip #1: Experiment with your Subject Line & From Name
- You could focus on one popular part of the newsletter, like the competition.
eg. Subject Line: HYPOXI NEWS: “Which unlucky-in-love actress is “friendly with her ex?
- Maybe try something punchy or raunchy.
eg. Subject Line: Have more fun in the bedroom with Hypoxi!
- You could try sending from the company, not the founders.
eg. From: Hypoxi Australia (although I still prefer the personal touch myself)
Tip #2: Experiment with Send day & time
- Mornings work best for me, but it could be different for your target market. Maybe it’s Saturday morning? Or after work?
Tip #3: Conduct a Survey
- I suggest asking your readers what they like best, or what else they’d like to read about.
- Also monitor stats because will show what content is most popular.
Tip #4: Resend the same email 4 days later
- I always get an extra 7-13% open rate by re-sending the same newsletter 4 days later to people who didn’t open the first time.
- All I do (for Bluewire) is change is subject line, but leave the email the same
eg. Subject Line: Did you miss June’s Bluewire News…? [web strategy plan + more]
Tip #5: Share on Facebook
- by updating facebook fans with a link to the online version of your email.
- post that link to your Facebook Page’s wall.
- post that link on your personal wall.
Tip #6: Tweet on Twitter
- Add the Tweet Meme functionality which embeds a ‘real-time’ tweet tally in your email – it’s very cool!
- Encourage people to retweet with incentives like prizes.
Tip #7: Archive your Emails on your website
- Add a website section called “News Archive”
- Archive all your old newsletters (great content for search engines & humans alike)
- Include a subscribe to our newsletter form on each archive page
I hope that helps.
These are all things I do and I find it tough to keep open rates high too, especially when people are so busy. But as always, focus on remarkable content and then fine tune your emails with my 7 tips above!
Email Marketing: For email marketing that uses all these tips, please call Bluewire Media on 1300 258 394.
- The 6 to 7 Figures Show – Episode 021: Adam Franklin – Jul 4, 2019
- Don’t create a marketing prison [#76] – Jun 12, 2019