Can digital marketing be automated? [#66]
[Brisbane CBD, Queensland, Australia]
I’m often asked, “Can (and should) digital marketing be automated?” Here’s my take.
G’day folks. The question today is can digital marketing be automated? Now, the short answer is yes, but the second part is should it be? And look, some parts should be automated, some parts shouldn’t. I think there’s a lot of opportunity obviously to automate the basic stuff, like if I do an email broadcast to my 30,000 subscribers I’m going to do that manually one by one. I’m going to use an email marketing software platform to automatically send it off.
Same deal when people sign up for something that I’m giving away on my website, and they receive an email each day for seven days as part of my welcome sequence, that’s automated, it’s not me doing it to 100 people each and every day. So, those types of things, yes, it’s a no brainer, you should automate.
But by the same token, I don’t necessarily think you should be looking to automate or use bots or outsource the relationship building side of digital marketing. So, if you’re reaching out to people and you’re starting conversations then oftentimes it’s best if it’s you. Oftentimes the personal touch can have the biggest impact. And it’s obvious if it’s a personal touch, it’s got a personalised message. Only you know the people in your network, only you know the stuff that’s in your head. And so you can be very personalised and very meaningful by doing some of the manual stuff.
So, yes, some stuff can be automated, some stuff I think there’s magic in the fact that it is manual and you can provide that personal touch. Hope that’s helped on the question of can digital marketing be automated. Cheers.
MY MARKETING METHODOLOGY
PS. When you're ready, here are 5 ways we can help you grow:
1. Web Strategy Planning Template (PDF). Our flagship 1-page tool we co-created with David Meerman Scott. It’s been downloaded over 1 million times and featured on Forbes.
2. Read a free chapter from our book: Web Marketing That Works --- an Amazon #1 best seller.
3. Join my private invitation-only group on Facebook. It's a great place to get to know us better and hang out with peers.
4. Watch my pitch-free ‘LinkedIn 101’ on-demand training on improving your profile, building your network and growing your pipeline on LinkedIn.
5. Work directly with me. Book a LinkedIn Growth Session and we can explore how you can get 10 new sales conversations in the next 30 days.
- The 6 to 7 Figures Show – Episode 021: Adam Franklin – Jul 4, 2019
- Don’t create a marketing prison [#76] – Jun 12, 2019
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.