Fishing for backlinks – Tips from SEO Secrets
Updated on October 13th, 2019
I’ve just finished reading SEO Secrets by Glenn Murray. As a copywriter, Glenn manages to make even the clunkiest aspects of SEO accessible to the layperson.
What was most striking in reading the book was that much of optimising your blog or website is naturally intuitive. Most SEO is more related to time and effort than mathematical trickery.
With that in mind, I’d like to share a particularly helpful (& simple) technique that I learnt from Glenn’s book – link baiting.
So, imagine we are going fishing. We need bait. I mean it’s obvious right? Why would the fish (or the people you want to read your site) bother coming near you if they weren’t going to get a tasty little treat out of it?
With this in mind we need to create content that people want to read. There’s no point trying to be everything to everyone – just like bait, you need to consider what fish you are hoping to catch, and what they like to eat.
To cut the fishing metaphor for a moment: people appreciate good content and will probably link to you if you deliver that. Case in point: Glenn Murray is the number 1 copywriter on Google. He writes great content and now I’m linking to it. And so are thousands of others. Hence the rank.
Anyway, once you’ve got good bait you need to cast the line where the fish are – otherwise it’s just great content floating in the vast expanse of ocean that is the Internet.
Enter social media – a fishing rod for the digital age. Let your network of friends & followers know there is some bait getting about – and watch as they break it down into pieces, redistribute it into their own blogs and backlink to yours in thanks of your food for thought.
You can also buy the SEO Secrets e-book online.
Additional PDF resources
MY MARKETING METHODOLOGY
PS. When you're ready, here are 5 ways we can help you grow:
1. Web Strategy Planning Template (PDF). Our flagship 1-page tool we co-created with David Meerman Scott. It’s been downloaded over 1 million times and featured on Forbes.
2. Read a free chapter from our book: Web Marketing That Works --- an Amazon #1 best seller.
3. Join my private invitation-only group on Facebook. It's a great place to get to know us better and hang out with peers.
4. Watch my pitch-free ‘LinkedIn Masterclass’ on optimising your profile, building your network and growing your B2B pipeline on LinkedIn.
5. Work directly with me. Book a LinkedIn Growth Session and we can explore how you can use LinkedIn to grow a pipeline of high-value B2B clients.
- Making news – what makes the cut and how you should apply it to your copy – Jun 27, 2011
- Weekly Round-Up | Vol 88 – Jun 24, 2011
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.