Flagship Content vs Lead Magnet: What’s the difference? [#11]
Updated on October 13th, 2019
Flagship Content and Lead Magnets
[Paddock Cafe, Burleigh Heads, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia]
In my Client Intensive Workshop, I explained the difference between flagship content and lead magnets. I also realised I often use the phrases interchangeably when in fact their is a significant difference between them.
Video: Flagship content vs lead magnet
Flagship Content is:
– something you are known for
– so valuable that people would pay you for it if you asked
– it’s often a “20,000 foot helicopter” view.
– you gift it to the world.
– still valuable
– you still give them away
– but they are typically a more specific tool for a “zoomed in” part of your flagship content.
TRANSCRIPT: Flagship content vs lead magnet
Hello Adam Franklin here, just on the last day of my little end of quarter getaway at the Gold Coast. This is a little café called Paddock, which I’ve been wanting to visit for a little while.
So today I want to talk about one of the things that came up at the client intensive workshop last week and that is “What’s the difference between flagship content and a lead magnet?”
Because I actually often use those two phrases interchangeably, but in actual fact there is a slight, and fairly significant actually, difference.
So a piece of flagship content is the primary one. It’s the thing that you’re known for and often it’s that helicopter view, that 20,000 foot view of, I guess for me it’s the marketing ecosystem that we put in our Web Strategy Planning Template. But for you it might be something completely different.
Whereas a lead magnet, that can be a little bit more tactical. It’s a little bit more ‘smaller picture’. So you can definitely have lots them, we’ve got 40 or 50 odd lead magnets on our site. Often it’s like a little checklist or a cheat sheet or something like that. But it’s not typically something that you’re known for, whereas your flagship content really is.
So the flagship content for us, Web Strategy Planning Template, that’s the thing that we’re known for, the free give-away that we’re known for, but it’s actually meant to be so valuable that people would pay for it if you asked. So that’s really the gauge, whereas lead magnets, that can be more of a zoomed in view. As I say zoom in for me of either LinkedIn or email or Instagram or anything like that, whereas the flagship content typically is your 20,000 foot helicopter view.
All right? Hope that makes sense. Leave a comment if you’ve got any questions and I’ll clarify anything, otherwise we’ll see you again soon. Bye.
Lead Magnet Resources
100 videos in 100 days
MY MARKETING METHODOLOGY
PS. When you're ready, here are 5 ways help consultants & advisors grow:
1. Web Strategy Planning Template (PDF). Our flagship 1-page tool we co-created with David Meerman Scott. It’s been downloaded over 1 million times and featured on Forbes.
2. Read a free chapter from our book: Web Marketing That Works --- an Amazon #1 best seller.
3. Join my private invitation-only group on Facebook. Get to know us better and hang out with your peers.
4. Watch my pitch-free 17 min ‘LinkedIn Crash Course for Consultants’ and get 10 PDF Guides when you register.
5. Book a Digital Growth Session. We can hop on a 15 minute call to explore how you can win high-value B2B clients!
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.