Notes from my “flow state” retreat
Updated on February 9th, 2020
Bluewire News – 8th July 2019
Flow state retreat
Today I’ve got some other insights to share with you, including the notes from my recent “flow retreat”.
First up though… my friend Frank Bria interviewed me for his podcast show.
We discuss how I’ve launched and refined the , after several early false starts. Amongst the lessons I’ve learned, I’ve realised it is very important to map out the the destination as well as each of the steps in the journey.
Not only that, you need to be clear on exactly who you help and provide certainty in terms of results they’ll achieve when they do the work, ideally even offering a guarantee.
Adam Franklin interview
Secondly… My “Flow State Retreat”
I’ve been promising the notes from my flow retreat on the Gold Coast recently.
Other book suggestions:
The Power of Intention by Dr Wayne Dyer
Video we watched:
Below are my notes from the sessions I did at the “flow state” retreat. They all help you get in flow state.
This was an interesting session on a morning ritual on how my friend Jon Hollenberg gets in flow.
Step 0: The key to a good morning routine is a good evening routine. One tip is use candle light not bright electric lights, plus get to bed on time. I actually have an alarm at 10pm that reminds me to go to bed and get some sleep!)
Here are steps 1 to 9:
- 1: Make bed
- 2: Do the work everyday
- 3: Exercise
- 4: Go outside barefoot — (“earthing”)
- 5: Red light exposure (aka the sunlight between dawn and ~8am)
- 6: Do breath work — (in his “priming” example, it involved 30 arm pumps whilst breathing in & out)
- 7: Cold exposure (cold shower)
- 8: Gratitude and visualisation
- 9: Discipline (become devoted and addicted to what feels great!)
We practised some warm up activities like poking your tongue around your mouth and voice warm ups. It was particularly useful for conference speaking and workshops I run, but a bit hard to convey properly in writing!
We also learned about different types of energy.
- 1st circle energy — “Victim” — feeling sorry for myself.
- 2nd circle energy — “Present” — this is the one we want to aim for!
- 3rd circle energy — “Bully” — zero empathy.
2 speaking techniques:
‘See’ everybody first by taking the time to look people in the eye. If it’s a big audience you can break the room into quadrants and take the time to look at one person in each of the 4 group. Our speaking coach refers to this technique as the “4Fs” Find Four Friendly Faces.
Bring the back of the room to you with your voice. (Again we got a demonstration but harder to convey in writing)
FLOW & PEAK PERFORMANCE
Flow is when you feel ‘Timeless, Selfless, Effortless
It’s now possible to do DNA and physical testing to see what we are most naturally good at responding to in order to reach flow. This includes the best food, exercise, training routines, sleeping patterns and it extends to how we should arrange our daily calendar to optimise our ability to experience “flow”.
One good tip was to split your business year into pre-season, in-season, finals and off-season. We can’t perform to our peak ability if we are go-go-go all the time with no downtime. We need rest and reflection.
BREATHING EXERCISE & ICE BATH
We did a warm up 10 min breathing exercise where we lay on a tennis court and did continuous breathing, in through the nose, out through the mouth. Then we did a 45 min session as a group of 50 people. It creates an unexpected experience of floating high in the sky and then coming back down.
This was followed by a 2 min ice bath for ‘cold therapy’ and we followed the Wim Hof Method. By the way Wim Hof is known as “The Ice Man” and the technique we did involved breathing in slowly through the nose for 6 seconds and out for 6 seconds. Remarkably when we breathed out, it created a warming sensation.
We immediately rubbed pure orange and peppermint oils together on our hands, cupped them together and inhaled. One inhale is supposedly like having 28 cups of tea. The oils increase oxygen flow and within minutes the inhaled essential oil aroma is in our bloodstream and improving our cells. Of course diffusers are another way to get essential oils into your life!
We developed a simple plan to get “flow” into our every day. We wrote down the following:
- What does ‘flow’ mean to me?
- How are you ‘fueled’?
- What robs you?
- … and based on that… What does our ideal day look like?
We finished the retreat with a hypnosis session. We had the option to ‘opt-out’ of this but everyone decided to do it. In the hypnosis we were guided to reach back into our memory to a time when were in complete flow.
We were told not to worry about coming up with a memory consciously but that the hypnosis would take us there subconsciously. And it did. It was incredible really. And now we can go back to that memory to help get us in flow, on demand.
Let me know if you have questions about these notes from the flow state retreat.
CEO Bluewire Media
Author – Web Marketing That Works
MY MARKETING METHODOLOGY
PS. When you're ready, here are 5 ways help consultants & advisors grow:
1. Web Strategy Planning Template (PDF). Our flagship 1-page tool we co-created with David Meerman Scott. It’s been downloaded over 1 million times and featured on Forbes.
2. Read a free chapter from our book: Web Marketing That Works --- an Amazon #1 best seller.
3. Join my private invitation-only group on Facebook. Get to know us better and hang out with your peers.
4. Watch my pitch-free 17 min ‘LinkedIn Crash Course for Consultants’ and get 10 PDF Guides when you register.
5. Book a Digital Growth Session. We can hop on a 15 minute call to explore how you can win high-value B2B clients!
- Remote work is here to stay, is your business ready for it? - Mar 20, 2020
- Building Your First Business Website – 9 Essential Tips - Mar 19, 2020
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.