Why do I give away lead magnets with no opt-in? [#130]
Why give away lead magnets with no registration?
[Brisbane, Queensland, QLD, Australia]
VIDEO: Why I give away lead magnets
TRANSCRIPT: Why do I give away lead magnets for free on LinkedIn with no opt-in?
Today’s question is:
Why do I give away my marketing templates for free, with no opt in, when I offer them on LinkedIn, as opposed to sending people to a registration page, where they go into some type of funnel?
This is a question from Simon, who’s one of my LinkedIn contacts.
And the reason for this is because I like to lead with generosity and also keep the friction nice and low when I’m offering something to somebody else.
You need a lead magnet for no opt-in
To me, it doesn’t quite seem right to make an offer and then make people jump through hoops in order to get it.
Now, once I actually deliver the PDF that I’ve promised, well it’s a bit further down the track that I invite people to join what I guess you would call a marketing funnel.
From that lead magnet I invite people to my marketing funnel email sequence
You may have noticed this if we’ve interacted, but I’ll send you the PDF as promised, no opt in, and then, typically once people write back and say: “Hey, thanks for sending me that,”
Then I will usually send some sort of invitation to register for a webinar or maybe some other marketing templates that are related to what I’ve just sent you.
And it’s then that people can decide,
“Okay, do I want to register and put my name and email address in to receive the rest of the information?”
That’s how my process works.
Then they willingly go into my marketing funnel after receiving value first
I think that sits most comfortably with me, because typically, if you’re making an offer and then say, “Actually, you’ve actually got to register and receive all my emails.”
To me, that just doesn’t sit right, so lead with generosity, low friction, lots of value, and then hopefully they want to register for the next stage of the journey.
My name is Adam Franklin. Hope that helps.
MY MARKETING METHODOLOGY
PS. When you're ready, here are 5 ways help consultants & advisors grow:
1. Web Strategy Planning Template (PDF). Our flagship 1-page tool we co-created with David Meerman Scott. It’s been downloaded over 1 million times and featured on Forbes.
2. Read a free chapter from our book: Web Marketing That Works --- an Amazon #1 best seller.
3. Join my private invitation-only group on Facebook. Get to know us better and hang out with your peers.
4. Watch my pitch-free 17 min ‘LinkedIn Crash Course for Consultants’ and get 10 PDF Guides when you register.
5. Book a Digital Growth Session. We can hop on a 15 minute call to explore how you can win high-value B2B clients!