Google Alerts – They Said What?
Google Alerts is probably the simplest way of gauging how present you are on Google for your keywords. I use it to see what’s being said about Bluewire Media and also to monitor when web design in Brisbane is discussed.
It has helped me to find websites who have used our content without attribution and is a fundamental part of brand management.
It also points me in the direction of discussions relating directly to our field so we can be involved in them. Plus, it’s a set and forget process – that’s how we like it!
So here’s how it works:
1. Go to www.google.com/alerts.
2. Type in the phrases or words you want to monitor – this can be anything, but for better results be specific.
3. You can choose what type (or all types) of media you monitor on the web. This includes video, blogs, news sites and forums, to name a few.
4. Decide how often you want to find out the latest on your keywords. Perhaps you want daily updates on topics of lesser importance to you but as-it-happens updates on your company or number one keyword.
5. Choose how many results you’d like to receive at a time.
6. Enter your email address and go to your inbox to verify the process.
It’s simple, you don’t have to sign up to anything and you can disable it whenever you like. Rather than trawling Google for mentions of a topic or company, it’ll go straight to your inbox.
Good old Google.