How SEO has changed over the years [#51]
Updated on March 12th, 2020
Changes in search engine optimization
[Rosalie Village, Paddington, Brisbane, Queensland]
A question via email from a Bluewire News reader about SEO has changed. I discuss white hat and black hat in my responses to this question below.
VIDEO: How SEO has changed
TRANSCRIPT: SEO has changed
Hi, Adam Franklin here. One of the questions that I was asked when I was taking in students for my SEO course, my search engine optimization short course, was, “How much has SEO changed over the years, and has the course been updated to reflect that?”
It got me thinking that there’s actually two sort of big questions in that. The first is, have the algorithm updates had an impact on the fundamentals of SEO? To that, I say no.
The fundamentals of SEO have always been about having good quality content that people are searching for, and then having a high authority site so that Google knows that you have the authority to rank on the first page or the first position on Google.
In that respect, not much has changed, and course has stayed very similar because of that. That’s what I teach. It’s the fundamental stuff that doesn’t change. It’s not about gaming the system and working around and trying to trick Google based on what the algorithm says or what we think the algorithm says.
Future of SEO: Play by the rules
That said, the comparison is, if you are conducting SEO and you’re trying to game the system and you’re trying to trick Google, well, yes, lots is going to change because Google is slowly weeding out those people and closing those loopholes so that the system can’t be gamed. Now, that’s called blackout. That’s trying to trick Google. To me, that’s bad. That’s never going to work. You’re going to get blacklisted.
If that’s the way you’re doing it, yes, lots has changed and it’s going to continue to change. That said, if you follow white hat stuff, which is what I teach, the ethical stuff, that is going to stand the test of time and not change that much.
In fact, each time there’s an algorithm update, that’s good, because it weeds out the black hat people.
MY MARKETING METHODOLOGY
PS. When you're ready, here are 6 ways we help consultants & advisors grow:
1. Web Strategy Planning Template (PDF). Our flagship 1-page tool we co-created with David Meerman Scott. It’s been downloaded over 1 million times and featured on Forbes.
2. Read a free chapter from our book. Web Marketing That Works --- an Amazon #1 best seller.
3. Join the private group on Facebook. Access free training resources, and hang out with 2,300+ peers.
4. Discover your marketing score. Take the 40 point Marketing Scorecard (in < 6mins) and get a customised report.
5. DIY for $7. Get the Complete 50+ Script Library for connecting with people to winning clients.6. Let's brainstorm how to fill your marketing funnel. DM the word "INTERESTED" via Messenger or book a 20 min slot to talk on Zoom.
- Fake negative comments - Jun 23, 2022
- 7 Offline Marketing Strategies That Your Online Brand Must Adopt - Jun 17, 2022
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.