Marketing: Before ‘fancy’ do the ‘basics’ [#100]
Updated on October 14th, 2019
[Hudson Yards, New York, USA]
Hudson Yards “Vessel” isn’t the first structure in New York, but it’s one of the fanciest. It’s also not the first structure in New York. The city has created thousands of basic buildings before it did the fancy one. Same should be true for your marketing!
VIDEO – Marketing Basics: Before Fancy Build The Foundations
TRANSCRIPT: Marketing basics
Adam Franklin here at Hudson Yards in New York. Now what you’ll see behind me is this incredible structure and it looks really complicated and it is, it’s pretty spectacular to look at. And you’ll also see behind me this enormous residential tower.
Now, what this got me thinking about in terms of marketing is that this fancy thing behind me of course, it’s brand new, it’s what everyone’s looking at, but it’s not the first building in New York. So, they’ve done heaps of other ones, they’ve got the basics right, they built tonnes of the foundation, they built tonnes of good buildings, and then they start to get fancy. They start to get cutting edge or bleeding edge and doing trendy stuff. And I think too often with our marketing, we want to get straight to what we think is the fun, exciting stuff that’s going to get lots of attention and whatever else.
But in reality, if you don’t have the practise of doing the normal buildings, getting your practise, doing that for a period of time, there’s no point in trying to attempt the fancy stuff that it’s just not going to work for you.
So, that is my analogy today. I highly recommend you check it out if you’re in this part of New York and that’s it from me, we’ll see you next time.
MY MARKETING METHODOLOGY
PS. When you're ready, here are 5 ways help consultants & advisors grow:
1. Web Strategy Planning Template (PDF). Our flagship 1-page tool we co-created with David Meerman Scott. It’s been downloaded over 1 million times and featured on Forbes.
2. Read a free chapter from our book: Web Marketing That Works --- an Amazon #1 best seller.
3. Join my private invitation-only group on Facebook. Get to know us better and hang out with your peers.
4. Watch my pitch-free 17 min ‘LinkedIn Crash Course for Consultants’ and get 10 PDF Guides when you register.
5. Book a Digital Growth Session. We can hop on a 15 minute call to explore how you can win high-value B2B clients!
- What LinkedIn content can I publish if I’m shy? [#124] - Apr 6, 2020
- Create SEO Friendly Content: 5 Cardinal Rules to Follow - Apr 3, 2020
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.