If I was starting out with no clients in digital marketing & business [#63]
Updated on October 24th, 2019
[Go Between Bridge, West End, Queensland, Australia]
A question I’m asked in “what would you do if you were just starting out in business with no clients?”
Here’s my answer:
VIDEO – Starting out with no clients
TRANSCRIPT: What I did when I had no clients
Hello. It’s Adam Franklin. The question today is “what would you be doing if you were starting out and you were looking to build your client base?”
If I was starting out in business, doesn’t really matter what business, I would be looking up the people that I would want to work with. I would actually be creating a dream 100 list of clients, I’d be looking them up online, through Google, through LinkedIn, through Facebook, and actually identifying the companies I want to work with, and then the people within those companies.
Dream 100 clients
There might be four or five different contacts at a company. There may just be one.
I would be creating a list of all of those people, at all the different companies, and having a systematic approach to reach out to them, form a relationship. And that can be done tactically by subscribing to their newsletter, to commenting on some of the posts they might be sharing on LinkedIn, or Facebook, or on a news website, and showing up on these peoples’ radar in a meaningful and constructive way, so that they know who you are.
If you do that across a hundred different companies, maybe a couple of contacts at each company… It’s not automated, it’s totally manual, but it’s important.
That’s the way that you’re going to get on the radar of these people, they’re going to know who you are, so that you’re actually earning the opportunity to have a, potentially, coffee with them, a conversation with them, or an email exchange with them.
Do it consistently
If you do that consistently over time with the companies that you’ve identified that you would like to work with, that’s the approach that I, personally, would take, and that I do take with my list of dream clients to work with. Some people, I’ve been nurturing or chipping away at for years.
Emails here and there, asking the question, “Are you ready to explore doing X, Y, and Z together?”
That’s what I would do. That’s what I do, do. Hope that helps. I love this time of year in Brisbane. Last day of autumn. See you later.
MY MARKETING METHODOLOGY
100 videos in 100 days. Want more?
PS. When you're ready, here are 5 ways we can help you grow:
1. Web Strategy Planning Template (PDF). Our flagship 1-page tool we co-created with David Meerman Scott. It’s been downloaded over 1 million times and featured on Forbes.
2. Read a free chapter from our book: Web Marketing That Works --- an Amazon #1 best seller.
3. Join my private invitation-only group on Facebook. It's a great place to get to know us better and hang out with peers.
4. Watch my pitch-free ‘LinkedIn Masterclass’ on optimising your profile, building your network and growing your B2B pipeline on LinkedIn.
5. Work directly with me. Book a LinkedIn Growth Session and we can explore how you can use LinkedIn to grow a pipeline of high-value B2B clients.
- SEO Tips and Tricks People Use to Get Position Zero – Nov 12, 2019
- 10 Reasons You’re Not Getting Enough Business From Your Website – Nov 10, 2019
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.