WMTW 007: Our brutal early marketing journey [podcast]
Updated on May 2nd, 2014
With our first six episodes on iTunes… you may be wondering who we are, what led us here to this podcast and how we’ve embarked on a decade long adventure to discover web marketing that works.
Background of Adam & Toby
- Met in Grade 1 in 1986 at Ashgrove State School
- Did everything from school, swimming, water polo, uni, travelling, 9.5 years in business and most recently a book!
Background of Bluewire Media
- You’ll hear stories of us selling websites, doing graphic design, managing social media for clients, but we now are a web marketing consulting firm.
- We started as strictly a web design shop (or agency for lack of a better word)
- Evolved into social media as that come on the scene and over the decade we’ve evolved into a web marketing advisory firm, offering training, mentoring programs, events and speaking.
- Started in Jan 2005 with $120. We were non-techies, but keen on learning business and marketing!
- First week we went on a surfing holiday (to celebrate!)
- Mentor advice: you need clients to be a business (websites, stationery and office could all wait)
- All we had was a Bluewire email address, and that was enough!
First attempt – knocking on doors
- Pounded the pavement for 2 weeks for 0 leads
- One breaking point, Toby introduced himself by saying “Hi I’m Adam”. Oops!
- Cold calls for 0 leads — we had scripts and everything (Yellow pages)
- The next breaking point was “I can hear crows in the background!”
- Qualified cold call with a valuable offer: this gave us our first leads but not our first client.
- First client came via a referral from our network (our water polo coach Lance’s mate from the pub)
- First cheque for $247 (deposit for a $1200 website)
- Lesson: value of your network and community
Q&A: Starting out today?
Knowing what we know now with our decade of experience and the new world of technology, how would we start marketing a business today?
Build an audience, solve a problem, understand the communities you are already a part of.
Did you like the show?
We’d love it if you helped spread the word. Click here to share podcast with your friends >>
Bonus 33 Free Templates
This podcast is brought to you by our new book Web Marketing That Works. You can download the bonus 33 free templates (11.2 MB – zip file).
Read the free, 28 page sample chapter (948 KB – PDF)
Or order the book online: Web Marketing That Works: Confessions from the Marketing Trenches (Wiley 2014).