WMTW 009: How a YouTube video nearly torpedoed our biggest deal [podcast]
Updated on December 12th, 2014
This podcast explores the hits and misses of our YouTube marketing journey. Including nearly missing out on our biggest deal because of a YouTube video.
We bought a Flipcam and started interviewing people at events.
Talking head videos
The accidental faux pas
We met with prospective client we were told they couldn’t engage Bluewire unless we fixed our homepage video. As it turns out, we nearly lost the opportunity to work with a major client because YouTube was delivering ‘suggested videos’ that were actually quite suggestive!
How else we’ve used You Tube?
- To describe our products and services
YouTube tips for beginners
- Record in a quiet place
- Don’t film under fluro light since it makes everything flicker
- Use a decent mic like the Blue Yeti that Timbo Reid put us onto.
- Don’t wear stripes since your shirt or dress will go blurry. Thanks to our acting mate Tom Oakley for this. Tom is on the long running Fosters ads in the UK!
- Put the laptop camera at eye level or above. Don’t look down into the camera because it’s very unflattering, and aside from this, the viewer feels like they are being looked down upon.
- Get help with video editing. We often use an editor on oDesk or Elance.
- Training videos using Screenflow
- Live Google Hangouts On Air
Mentions in the show
Mike O’Hagan – founder & owner of MiniMovers
Timbo Reid – host of the Small Business Big Marketing podcast
Tom Oakley – from the Fosters adverts in the UK
Kevin Daum – author of Video Marketing For Dummies
- Camtasia – for video editing on a PC
- Screenflow – for video editing on a Mac
- Jules Watkins’ Screenflow Hero
- Call recorder for Skype
- Speechpad – transcribes your videos into words. From $1 per minute of audio.
- Blue Yeti microphones
Did you like this show?
If you did like it, we’d love your help spreading the word to your friends. Please click here to tweet this podcast >>
Subscribe to the Web Marketing That Works podcast on:
Bonus 33 Free Templates
Download the 33 free templates (11.2 MB – zip file) from our new book.
Read the free, 28 page sample chapter (948 KB – PDF)
Or order the book online: Web Marketing That Works: Confessions from the Marketing Trenches (Wiley 2014).