WMTW 030: Trevor Young – PR Warrior and Author of Microdomination [Podcast]
In this episode I’m talking with Trevor Young, the PR Warrior. He is the author of MicroDomination and has worked in public relations and communications for over 20 years. He has started and sold 2 businesses and merged a third with the world’s largest independent PR agency.
Personally he’s a passionate educator and loves listening to 1960s hard-bop jazz – he even gave me a quick sample while we were recording! He’s a Geelong Football Club supporter (which we won’t hold against him) and is plotting and planning the Great Australian Crime Novel.
We talk about:
- How the media has changed – Paid, Earned, Shared and Owned and what you can do to maximise them.
- How to craft a story and content to win publicity
- What he means by The Connected Brand
- And lots more!
Day in the life of Trevor Young:
- Portfolio approach
- Writing research
- Educational based
- Connected brand – how to better connect with the marketplace in a hyper networked environment.
- Content and events, cultivating the enthusiasts of your brand
- Collaboration and partnering with like minded individuals and orgs
- All this comes before the Call to action
Major aha moments?
- Serendipity and the fact that we are all connected – it’s a small world.
What else is working for you at the moment?
- Podcast – Reputation Revolution with LinkedIn group attached
What’s not working?
- Hasn’t built subscriber list
What would you do if you were starting from scratch?
- Blog first – to bring clarity, focus and form
- Create a body of work.
- Twitter as the second choice
What is PR?
- Public Relationships
- PR is not getting your name in the papers/TV/Radio – this Media Relations
- Getting others to talk about you in a positive way
- Speaking engagements, media briefings etc
Paid, Earned, Shared and Owned Media:
- Paid – advertising
- Earned – you’ve earned the right – eg story by a journalist/blogger
- Shared – people commenting and retweeting etc – general public
- Owned – your website, blog etc.
- Know the journalists personally – the stronger the tie the better.
- Huffington Post
- Business Insider
- Smart Company
- Startup Smart
- Multi author – jeffbullas.com, problogger.com
- Moz – SEO blog
Learning from others:
- David Meerman Scott
- Content Marketing Institute
- Jay Baer
- Mitch Joel
- Mark Masters – ID Group
- Dionne Lew – The Social Executive
- “You are the media channel.”
Connecting with Trevor:
Did you like this podcast?
If you liked this podcast, please click to tweet this show >>
Review & Subscribe>
We would love you to subscribe to Web Marketing That Works and please leave your honest reviews via:
Download the 33 free templates (11.2 MB – zip file) from our new book.
Or order the book online: Web Marketing That Works: Confessions from the Marketing Trenches (Wiley 2014).
- The Olympic story I reluctantly shared – Nov 20, 2015
- Time Management and Productivity Hacks of Billionaires & Olympians [Podcast] – Nov 18, 2015
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.