WMTW 033: Keith Ferrazzi – The Critical Importance of Deep Relationships in a Digital World
Updated on February 20th, 2015
I believe that relationships are the most important factor in a person’s happiness and Keith Ferrazzi’s book, Never Eat Alone, has been a huge influence on me. Much more than just another business and marketing book, Never Eat Alone was the inspiration behind our Aspirational Contacts Template that we’ve used to get in touch with people who we admire, helped me with my personal relationships and has inspired many a dinner at my home.
NEA has been updated to reflect the changes that technologies like social media have had on the world of relationships so I invited Keith on the show to share his insights – the elements that have changed, and the foundational principles that have not.
In a world flooded with superficial contacts, I can’t recommend this book highly enough.
I hope you enjoy the show.
Criticality of relationships:
- Wanted to teach others how to build those relationships
World has changed over the last 10 years:
- Technology has changed but the principles are the same
- Lead with generosity
- One of the best followings on LinkedIn
- Because she is so authentic
- People lean in
- Technology has been used as an excuse and a crutch
- Reaching out and being curious
- “Asking good questions because you give a damn about the answers is something that’s rare and valued.”
- Taking a point of view and sharing it with others is always valued
Long Slow Dinners:
- Less and less time sinking in and cultivating those long slow dinners
- Very very important and very very valuable because it’s so rare
How do you systemise it in your own life:
- Look aheads – who will I eat with when I get there?
- Planning for relationships
- Relationship action plan
- Lost art to be this purposeful, this process oriented about relationships
- Got to be planned and got to be purposeful
Relationship action planning:
- All your goals and dreams there will be relationships that will be critical
- Write them down
- Be clear
- Prioritise these relationships
- Squeamish? We do this all the time eg with our kids vs the neighbors kids.
- Why would these people want to spend time with you?
- What are going to be the reasons?
- Reach out with generosity and authentic kindness
- When you show up, be your authentic self
Connect with Keith:
Did you like this podcast?
If you liked this podcast, please click to tweet this show >>
Review & Subscribe>
We would love you to subscribe to Web Marketing That Works and please leave your honest reviews via:
Download the 33 free templates (11.2 MB – zip file) from our new book.
Or order the book online: Web Marketing That Works: Confessions from the Marketing Trenches (Wiley 2014).
- The Olympic story I reluctantly shared - Nov 20, 2015
- Time Management and Productivity Hacks of Billionaires & Olympians [Podcast] - Nov 18, 2015
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.