WMTW 043: Sam McIntosh, Founder of Stab Magazine [podcast]
Updated on February 12th, 2015
Sam McIntosh, founder of Stab Magazine, talks to me about starting a magazine from scratch, taking it digital and how the audience must come first every time. He shares details on how he builds partnerships to generate huge website traffic and social media shares.
What worked well
- Discover how the website and magazine worked together.
- If you get the right news, you will get the right traffic.
- Wrote a book “How to surf” with Taj Burrow. It became a best selling book, they used that cash as a kickstarter and Stab Magazine was eventually born.
- Hates traditional “Old School” way of media production.
- Stories compared to 10 years ago are now more vital and less time sensitive.
- Give value to the people who invested on the print copy.
- A website is expensive, but it will be the best money you will invest.
- “Start everything with your reader.”
- Be a daily destination to your readers.
- Engage your readers as much as possible.
- Get your readers to become loyal – their biggest reader group comes back to the site 200+ times a month.
- They have people all over the world that shoot and write their content.
- Ultimate goal is getting your brand “out” there
- Stab started as a print magazine, eventually going online just 3 years ago
- Print content is the same as digital content
- Do not put online what the print edition has
- Having a point of view will build relationship with readers
- Get inside tracks and report first for increase traffic
- Partnered with RedBull on shooting “viral” videos, helping the content to be “out and viral”.
- Create your own content and news at the same time.
- Sam is not a believer of twitter for Stab. He prefers Instagram as it is more visual and suits their content.
- Has grown 1k+ followers in Instagram everyday
- Taj Burrow
- Seth Godin
- David Meerman Scott and his book “The New Rules of Marketing & PR”
- Tim Ferriss
- Chris Brogan
Watch video of “The Right”
- Watch the Surfing Video below or read more about it.
Connect with Sam
Did you like this podcast?
If you liked this podcast, please click to tweet this show >>
We would love you to subscribe to Web Marketing That Works and please leave your honest reviews via:
Download the 33 free templates (11.2 MB – zip file) from our new book.
Or order the book online: Web Marketing That Works: Confessions from the Marketing Trenches (Wiley 2014).
- The Olympic story I reluctantly shared – Nov 20, 2015
- Time Management and Productivity Hacks of Billionaires & Olympians [Podcast] – Nov 18, 2015
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.