How to pay it forward online [#57]
Updated on June 10th, 2019
[In the car, Brisbane]
Here’s how we can pay it forward online!
Hi folks, Adam Franklin. And I just want to share with you the concept that we often apply in real life, which is paying it forward with no expectation of anything in return. And, look, this is so effective in real life and it also obviously applies online.
It’s often people, when you’re reaching out to strangers particularly in a marketing sense or a networking sense, in the back of our mind there’s always what does this person want from me? Why are they connecting? What are they then going to try and sell me? All of that.
So if you can diffuse that and turn it around from the start, and actually go about it from a place of generosity, then it’s going to just work wonders in my experience. So, for example, if you were to connect with somebody in your area who’s a business person and just reach out and say, “I’m growing my network. I’d love to connect.”
But then, because they’ll be thinking, “Okay, what’s this Adam guy trying to sell me?” But if you can then turn it around and say something like, “I’d love to know about your ideal clients because I talk with hundreds of business owners in the area, and if I know the types of people that you work with then I can hopefully refer your business.”
Then from that point, you’re coming from a place of generosity. You’re surprising them because you’re offering to help them rather than sell them something. To me, that is a way of paying it forward. You don’t expect anything in return. You just want to know more about the business owner so that you can hopefully help refer them the right types of people. So pay it forward online as well as offline. I hope that helps. Talk to you later.
MY MARKETING METHODOLOGY
100 videos in 100 days. Want more?
This is part of my 100 videos in 100 days challenge.
PS. When you're ready, here are 5 ways we can help you grow:
1. Web Strategy Planning Template (PDF). Our flagship 1-page tool we co-created with David Meerman Scott. It’s been downloaded over 1 million times and featured on Forbes.
2. Read a free chapter from our book: Web Marketing That Works --- an Amazon #1 best seller.
3. Join my private invitation-only group on Facebook. It's a great place to get to know us better and hang out with peers.
4. Watch my pitch-free ‘LinkedIn Masterclass’ on optimising your profile, building your network and growing your B2B pipeline on LinkedIn.
5. Work directly with me. Book a LinkedIn Growth Session and we can explore how you can use LinkedIn to grow a pipeline of high-value B2B clients.
Content Marketing Sales Funnel
Your content marketing sales funnel is all about getting people to know, like and trust you by nurturing them with the right information at the right time.